CompTIA A+ Certification
The course objective is to ensure the student obtains the skills necessary to install, configure, upgrade, repair, troubleshoot, enhance, and perform maintenance on basic PC hardware and operating systems. This course will prepare the student for the 220‐801 and 220‐802 CompTIA A+ Certification exams.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to be familiar with BIOS, monitor system devices and flash BIOS; be familiar with main system components and troubleshooting; be familiar with custom system configurations; be familiar with TCP/IP stack and common usage of components; be familiar with printers , their installation, features and troubleshooting; understand information security, including physical security and security best practices; understand the Android and iOS; be familiar with the installation, configuration, administration and troubleshooting of Microsoft operating systems; and understand wired and wireless standards, technologies and implementation.
Methods of instruction include audiovisual materials, classroom exercises, computer‐based training, discussion, lecture, and practical exercises. General course topics include personal computer components; operating system fundamentals; PC technician professional best practices; installing and configuring peripheral components; installing and configuring system components; maintaining and troubleshooting peripheral components; troubleshooting system components; installing and configuring operating systems; maintaining and troubleshooting Microsoft Windows; network technologies; installing and managing network connections; supporting laptops and portable computing devices; supporting printers and scanners; personal computer security concepts; and supporting personal computer security.
There are no prerequisites for this course. However, students taking this course should be familiar with basic Personal Computer (PC) hardware and software as well as network fundamentals.
- Identify the components of standard desktop personal computers.
- Identify fundamental components and functions of personal computer operating systems. Identify best practices followed by professional personal computer technicians.
- Install and configure computer components.
- Install and configure system components.
- Maintain and troubleshoot peripheral components.
- Troubleshoot system components.
- Install and configure operating systems.
- Maintain and troubleshoot installations of Microsoft Windows.
- Identify network technologies
- Install and manage network connections.
- Support laptops and portable computing devices.
- Support printers and scanners.
- Identify personal computer security concepts.
- Support personal computer security.
Lesson 1: Personal Computer Components
- Personal Computer Components
- System Unit Components
- Storage Devices
- Personal Computer Connection Methods
Lesson 2: Operating System Fundamentals
- Personal Computer Operating Systems
- Windows User Interface Components
- Windows File System Management
- Windows System Management Tools
Lesson 3: PC Technician Professional Best Practices
- Tools of the Trade
- Electrical Safety
- Environmental Safety and Materials Handling
- Perform Preventative Maintenance
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Professionalism and Communication
Lesson 4: Installing and Configuring Peripheral Components
- Install and Configure Display Devices
- Install and Configure Input Devices
- Install and Configure Adapter Cards
- Install and Configure Multimedia Devices
Lesson 5: Installing and Configuring System Components
- Install and Configure Storage Devices
- Install and Configure Power Supplies
- Install and Configure Memory
- Install and Configure CPUs
- Install and Configure System Boards
Lesson 6: Maintaining and Troubleshooting Peripheral Components
- Troubleshoot Display Devices
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Input Devices
- Troubleshoot Adapter Cards
- Troubleshoot Multimedia Devices
Lesson 7: Troubleshooting System Components
- Troubleshoot Storage Devices
- Troubleshoot Power Supplies
- Troubleshoot Memory
- Troubleshoot CPUs
- Troubleshoot System Boards
Lesson 8: Installing and Configuring Operating Systems
- Install Microsoft Windows
- Upgrade Windows
- Add Devices to Windows
- Optimize Windows
Lesson 9: Maintaining and Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows
- Operating System Utilities
- Maintain Microsoft Windows
- Troubleshoot Microsoft Windows
- Recover Microsoft Windows
Lesson 10: Network Technologies
- Network Concepts
- Network Communications
- Network Connectivity
- Internet Technologies
Lesson 11: Installing and Managing Network Connections
- Create Network Connections
- Install and Configure Web Browsers
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Network Connections
Lesson 12: Supporting Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
- Laptop and Portable Computing Device Components
- Install and Configure Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
Lesson 13: Supporting Printers and Scanners
- Printer and Scanner Technologies
- Printer and Scanner Components
- Printer and Scanner Processes
- Install and Configure Printers and Scanners
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Printers and Scanners
Lesson 14: Personal Computer Security Concepts
- Security Fundamentals
- Security Protection Measures
- Data and Physical Security
- Wireless Security
- Social Engineering
Lesson 15: Supporting Personal Computer Security
- Install and Configure Security Measures
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Security Measures